art diary Bradford Brenner

You've found my blog spot (everyone has one and I just discovered mine recently) where I'll make up things that I know about art.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Happy Pitcher


I was not so happy with yesterday's painting. I wanted to go a little more chipper today. More Matisse. As with all my paintings, if they are lying around none of them are safe. New paint can end up on them at any time. If I see something wrong or that needs to be changed, I won't be able to help myself. Probably in direct violation of the spirit of the one-a-day painting manifesto. I hope it doesn't land me in art prison, but I have a feeling that yesterday's painting needs to go another round.














3 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Hale said...

Here's my two cents: I'm in favor of being able to add to and change paintings... At the same time, my point of view is as an artist myself, who hopes some time (soon?) to have my own painting a day blog, and who has found it difficult to work fast.
I do animal portraits; I like to be able to do them for people without a lot of money, but I work slowly, and I want and need to be paid a decent hourly wage. I have tried a couple of times to relax my style and my standards, doing something I called "sketched portraits," where I was working quickly and loosely, but I'd always end up slowing down and getting very careful. I think commissioned portraits may be particularly challenging in this regard, but... My point is that I think my rules for myself would need to say that I ALMOST NEVER go back to add or change. Otherwise I'd end up slipping back out of fast, painting-a-day, and back into slow and long. Meanwhile, as I say, I support your adding on or changing. I think that (for us as painting bloggers) these rules are for our own benefit.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Eileen Hale said...

P.S. I like your happy pitcher. It hadn't showed up earlier when I started commenting. Happy, indeed!

1:37 PM  
Blogger bradfordbrenner said...

Thanks Eileen! It's funny, I have the oppossite situation. I tend to work very fast and often times feel my work could benefit from taking longer. I think a lot of artist err on the side of over working a piece. I don't think that I've ever been accused of that!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home